Glusea brings to you Peter Mutharika net worth
Arthur Peter Mutharika is a Malawian politician and lawyer who was President of Malawi from May 2014 to June 2020.
Peter is one of the most influential people in Malawi. He has worked in the field of international justice, specializing in international economic law, international law and comparative constitutional law. He informally served as an adviser to his older brother, President Bingu wa Mutharika, on issues of foreign and domestic policy from the onset of his election campaign until the President’s death on 5 April 2012
Read Shepherd Bushiri net worth
According to various online sources, Peter Mutharika Net Worth is $60 million making him one of the richest men in Malawi
Peter Mutharika Net Worth
Peter Mutharika Biography
Peter has held positions as Minister of Justice and later as Minister for Education, Science and Technology. Mutharika also served as Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2011 to 2012.
Read Also Lazarus Chakwera net worth
He was charged to help bridge relations between Malawi and the United Kingdom due to the deterioration of public diplomacy between the two nations after the Cochrane-Dyet controversy.
Standing as the candidate of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), Peter Mutharika was elected as President of Malawi in the 2014 election
Mutharika received his law degree from the University of London in 1965. He then received his LL.M and JSD/PhD degrees from Yale University in 1966 and 1969 respectively.
As a professor, he has taught at University of Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), Haile Selassie University (Ethiopia), Rutgers University (USA), the United Nations Institute for Training and Research Program for Foreign Service Officers from Africa and Asia at Makerere University (Uganda), and for 37 years at Washington University (USA), and has served as an Academic Visitor at the London School of Economics.
Prof. Peter has served as advisor to the American Bar Association’s Rule of Law initiative for Africa
Mutharika was part of a three-man tribunal that was arbitrating international cases. In August 2011, Mutharika decided to resign from two international court cases with the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes that he was arbitrating on Zimbabwe where foreign investors sued the Zimbabwean government for breaches of bilateral investment treaties. This was due to concerns about his impartiality because of Bingu Mutharika’s close associations with the Mugabe government.
Peter Mutharika Net Worth
Peter Mutharika net worth is $60 million. He has held several international positions.
- President, International Third-World Legal Studies Association, 1986-1993
- Global Fund Replenishment Champion, 2018-2019
- Member, Committee of Ten African Heads of State Championing the Advancement of Education, Science and Technology, appointed by the African Union 2018
- Champion, Global Partnership for Education
- African Development Bank, Youth Champion
- Co-convenor, Global Commission on Financing Education
- Champion, Trade Related Aspects of Property Rights (TRIPS)
- UN Women “HeForShe” Champion
- UNFPA Global Youth Champion
- Advisor in Council of the Economic and Trade Cooperation of African Youth (ETCAY)
- Board Chairperson for United Nations Economic and Trade Commission of Africa
Among the accolades he has received includes;
- international Jurist Award, 2008
- The African Leadership Award, 2016 and Medal of Honour, 2016
- Doctors of Human Letters, University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in 2016
- State of Georgia Senate Citation of Merit, 2016
- Honorary Professor, University of International Business and Economics, Beijing, China, 2018
- Nelson Mandela Leadership Award, National Baptist Convention, 2018
- Doctor of Human Letters, Washington University, 2018
- Senior Of Politics Debate, Indonesian Jakarta Collage, 2019