John Kuffour served as the second President under the fouth republic of Ghana from 7 January 2001 to 7 January 2009. During his tenure as President, he brought about great policies that greatly improved the economy of Ghana. He was awarded Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath, conferred by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain. Read on to find more on John Kuffour net worth.
What is John kuffour Net Worth ?
John Kuffour Profile
John Kofi Agyekum Kufuor was born on 8th December 1938 in Kumasi, Ghana.
He was educated at Osei Tutu Boarding school (Osei Tutu Senior High School) from 1951 to 1953, Prempeh College from 1954 to 1958, Lincoln’s Inn, London (1959–61) and Exeter College, Oxford (1961–64).
After completing his education, Kufuor returned to Ghana and launched his political career. In 1967 he became chief legal officer and town clerk for the city of Kumasi. By 1969 he was a member of Parliament and deputy foreign minister in the government of Kofi Busia. After Busia was overthrown in 1972, Kufuor spent several years as a businessman in the private sector.
He was a member of the assembly that drafted the constitution of the third republic, and he was elected to Parliament in 1979, serving as deputy minority parliamentary leader. After Jerry J. Rawlings overthrew the government in late 1981, Kufuor stayed on as Rawlings’s secretary for local government. He resigned less than a year later, however, expressing his disappointment with the Rawlings regime.
On 20 April 1996 Kufuor was nominated by 1034 out of 2000 delegates of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) drawn from all the 200 Constituencies of the Country to run for the President of Ghana on 10 December 1996.Kufuor polled 39.62% of the popular votes to Rawlings’ 57% in the 1996 election.
Kufuor won the presidential election of December 2000 after a run-off vote.
John Kuffour has held several prestigious positions after his tenure as President ended. the Council of the George Grant University of Mines and Technology ( UMaT) appointed Former President Kufour as the first Chancellor of the University in 2017.
Awards and accolades
- Chatham House Prize (2008)
- Distinction of Grand Cordon in the Most Venerable Order of the Knighthood of the Pioneers of the Republic of Liberia (2008)
- World Federation of Honorary Consuls’ Order of the Gold Star (2008)
- Honorary Fellow, Exeter College, Oxford University, and John Moore University, Liverpool, UK
- Honorary Doctorate from the University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath, conferred by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain
- Awarded highest award of the Order of the House of Orange, conferred by Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
- Awarded State Honors from various countries including Italy, Germany and Brazil
- Leadership and Governance award, Ghana UK-Based Achievement Awards,Impact Africa Summit(2016)
- Senior Grand Warden of the United Grand Lodge of England, appointed by His Royal Highness, Prince Edward, The Duke of K
John kuffour Net Worth
According sources online, John Kuffour net worth as estimated as $110 million.