How to Write a CV in Nigeria: Have you been ask to attach a copy of your CV with other credentials to apply for a job, but you don’t know to write it? Trust me, by the time you have finished reading this article, you will no longer have that challenge of writing a CV. But what is a CV you may ask? Read on to see the definition of CV.
What is CV?
A CV, which is a short form Curriculum Vitae, is a document that contains detailed information about yourself, educational qualification, acquired skills, year of graduation and so on. A CV should not be confused with a Resume, below is the difference between a CV and Resume.
What is Difference between A Resume and CV?
A CV is a document that contains detailed information about your academic achievements and qualifications. As such the length of the document varies. A resume on the other hand contains a brief description of your skills and academic qualifications for a particular job. In this case, the length of the resume tends to be shorter than that of a CV.
What makes a Good CV?
A good CV must contain the following characteristics ;
- Must contain relevant skills
- Must be carefully customized for the job you are applying.
- Must prove convincingly that you clearly understand the position you are applying for.
Importance of CV
CV is relevant while applying for a job because it shows a potential employer that you’ve got what it takes to be given the job. Through a CV, you are selling your experience, acquired skills which impresses on the minds of your potential employers.
Types of CV
There are four types of CV namely;
- Functional CV
- Targeted CV
- Chronological CV
- Combination CV
How to Write a CV
If you want to captivate your potential employer to make them consider you for an interview, you need to present a well written CV, here is how to write a CV;
- Begin with a CV header
- Include Personal Information
- Personal Profile Statement
- Personal Achievements
- Educational Qualification which also include year of graduation.
- Employment and work history
- Acquired Skills
- Personal Hobbies and interests.
How to Write a CV with No Work Experience
If you don’t have any work experience regarding the job you are applying for, you don’t have to fidget. You can still write a good CV and be considered for an interview even with no work experience. Here is how to write such CV.
- Be sure to make the most out of the section that requires you to write a brief and concise information about yourself. Using 3 to 4 lines, try to show your potential employer why you are the best candidate for the job. Describe those qualities in you that will make you a great asset to the company if you are applied.
- Write about the experience you had in your previous job even when it does not relate with the company and the position you are applying for. Most employers opt for employees that have transferring skills, skills that they acquired from their previous place of work. They believe that if they employ such candidate, they will use their skill to improve the productivity of the establishment.
To further clarify it, some of these transferable skills are; customer care services, skill in analyzing data etc.
- Attach a cover letter with your CV. Use the cover letter too to list your acquired skills and why you should be considered for the position.
- Lastly, try to show your potential employer how enthusiastic you are about the role you are applying for. Most employers like to employ people who are passionate and enthusiastic about their job not those who only applied for a position just to make ends meet.
Content on this website is protected by DMCA. Dont waste your time copying because you would eventually remove it.