Learn how to wear face mask the right way here
Medical Masks or surgical masks are designed to protect people from the spread of an infectious disease. It is mainly used by health workers but can be recommended for the general public in the event of an outbreak of a pandemic. Wearing a face mask needs to be done the right way for it to achieve its intended purpose. Read on to know how to wear face mask properly.
Types of Face Mask
Before we start with the procedure for how to wear a face mask appropriately, let’s look at the types of masks and what purpose they mend to achieve.
- N95 Mask – this is the best mask to use when you need to block smaller particles such as viruses from penetrating. Some have a respiratory valve that helps in breathing. N95 respirator is not ideal for use by children and people with facial hair. Also it is not ideal to be used for surgical purposes due to the possibility of droplets to penetrate through the respiratory valve into the sterile field. N95 respirator is 95% in blocking smaller particles.
Surgical masks are disposable, loose-fitting face masks that cover your nose, mouth, and chin. They’re typically used to:
- protect the wearer from sprays, splashes, and large-particle droplets
- prevent the spread of potentially infectious respiratory secretions from the wearer to others
Surgical masks can vary in design, but the mask itself is often flat and rectangular in shape with pleats or folds. The top of the mask contains a metal strip that can be formed to your nose.
Homemade cloth face masks
These are masks made from home with cloth fabric. They may lower the risk of people without symptoms transmitting the virus through speaking, coughing, or sneezing.
They’re better than not using any mask and offer some protection, especially where social distancing is hard to maintain.
How to wear face mask
- wash your hands thoroughly with both soap and water. Once you’ve applied soap to your wet hands, you should rub your hands together to wash them for at least 20 seconds before rinsing them off
- Take the face mask and check for tears, holes or dirt stains. If there are any, discard the mask and look for another.
- In order for the mask to fit as close to your skin as possible, the top portion of the mask will have a bendable, but stiff, edge that can be molded around your nose. Ensure this bendable side is facing upwards before applying the mask to your face
- Ensure the proper side of the mask faces outwards. The inside of most medical masks are white in color, while the outside has a color of some sort. Before applying the mask to your face, make sure the white side of the mask is facing towards your face
- Tie the ropes or bands at the back of your head or behind your ear if your mask comes with ear loops.
- Adjust the mask to cover your nose properly. Pinch the top to bend the rod against the bridge of your nose.
- Adjust the lower part to cover your mouth. Blow air gently through the mask to be sure there no holes in it.
Clean your hands by washing or using alcohol hand rub.
How to remove a face mask
- Wash your hands with soap and water
- Remove the mask gently. Untie from the back of your head or remove the ear loop
- Dispose off the mask safely into a bin
- Wash your hands again
Note that wearing a facemask is only effective when it is done the right way. Wash mask made with a cloth after every single use with soap and iron when it’s dried.
Stay safe, Practice all the protocols and learn more information about Coronavirus here
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) April 20, 2020