Ghana passport is the number one tool every citizen of Ghana needs to be able to travel outside the country. It also gives the citizens protection by the government of Ghana.
The application process for acquiring Ghana passport has undergone systematic technological advancement over the last few years. First, to be able to acquire a passport, one needed to go through a lot of manual form filling and booking appointments. This process was a torn in the flesh of most Ghanaians as people used to wait for months to years before they could acquire the document. Thank God technology has really come to stay. If you are a Ghanaian who is yet to acquire a Ghana passport, you may find this article useful.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION
Before one can apply for a passport, you need the following documents
- Birth Certificate(Proof of Ghanaian citizenship)
- Documents to support Identity such as Driver’s Licence, National ID card
- Proof of Profession (An introductory letter from the applicant’s employer that is if the applicant is currently employed or a work ID card that bears applicant’s name, organization’s name and position. A student ID if the applicant is currently in school. Homemakers/housewives and applicants that are unemployed and those in the non-formal sector of employment like mechanics, hairdressers seamstresses, traders etc. do not need proof. Registered Business Owners and self-employed applicants must produce their business registration certificate as proof)
How To Apply
- Create a new user account at https://passport.mfa.gov.gh/register and fill the form providing the necessary information
- Login with your Username and Password.
- Click on Start New Application.
- Make Payment for processing fee.
- Choose a bank, then choose an application type (standard or expedited), choose payment channel to make payment.
Available Application Types
|1||Expedited Application||GHS 100.00|
|2||Standard Application||GHS 50.00|
Payment Channels for Processing Fees
|1||Ecobank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, VISA & MasterCard, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash.|
|2||GCB Bank||Branches nationwide, Vodafone Cash.|
|3||Zenith Bank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash, VISA & MasterCard.|
After a successful payment of the processing fee, the form is issued into your accountto continue with your passport application. This form can be found at “My Applications”.
c. Note that payment made are irreversible.
d. Please note that manual (PDF) forms processing fee voucher codes are NOT TO BE USED here.
- Complete all details on the form.
- Sign the Declaration Form.
- Book a date you will like to go to the Passport Application Center (PAC) for the verification of your documents and to take your biometric details (i.e. photograph and fingerprints).
- Present yourself on the appointment date at the Passport Application Center for verification of your documents and to capture biometric details.
Address of Passport Application Centers
|1||Accra PAC||Kinbu Road (Old Foreign Affairs)|
|2||Kumasi||Ministries Adum behind the Court of Appeal PWD (National Service Secretariat)|
|3||Takoradi||Ghana Immigration Head Quarters (Within the Regional Administration)|
|4||Sunyani||Adjacent to Jubilee (shares a wall with the Park)|
|5||Ho||Regional Administration (Shares building with Immigration)|
|6||Tamale||Police Park (Old Library)|
|8||Premium PAC – Accra||Accra Digital Center, Adjacent State Housing Company, Ring Road West, Accra|
|9||Tema||Former IRS Office, Community 4, Tema|
|10||Koforidua||PWD Office, SSNIT Office Area, Koforidua.|
- After your appointment, the PAC will indicate to you when your passport will be ready for collection.
- Go to the Passport Application Center (PAC) on the date indicated to you to collect your passport. The Premium PAC has the option for courier delivery.