Coronavirus in Africa, The Breakdown
Click here for live Coronavirus Updates
There are now more than 700 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Africa , with a number of African countries imposing a range of prevention and containment measures against the spread of the pandemic.
According to the latest data, of the WHO on COVID-19 in Africa, the breakdown remains fluid as countries confirm cases as and when. The whole of Africa has rising cases with a sizeable number of countries holding out.
We shall keep updating this list which will be put in sub-continental blocs: East, West, Central, southern and North Africa.
The classifications are based on where the countries are located especially in the case of countries that belong to two different blocs, like Tanzania in East Africa, despite belonging to EAC and SADC.
- The Gambia became the 31st infected reporting a case on March 17 of a national returning from the U.K.
- Djibouti also reported a case on March 18 involving a Spanish national on military assignment.
- Zambia have reported their first two cases of the coronavirus according to Mwebantu news portal
- Mauritius reported its first cases on Wednesday becoming the 34th infected African country
- Chad reported first case on Thursday March 19 becoming 35th infected nation.
- Niger, via a tweet by President Issoufou also reported their index case on Thursday March 19 becoming 36th infected nation.
- Cape Verde government reported on Friday that a British national had tested positive becoming its index patient.
- Zimbabwe late Friday confirmed its index case, becoming 38th infected country and 5th in the southern Africa region
- Algeria – 82
- Egypt – 256
- Morocco – 61
- Tunisia – 39
Virus-free = Western Sahara, Libya
- Benin – 1
- Burkina Faso – 40
- Ghana – 16
- Guinea – 2
- Ivory Coast – 14
- Liberia – 2
- Mauritania – 2
- Nigeria- 12
- Senegal – 47, five recovered, 42 undergoing treatment
- Togo – 9
- The Gambia – 1
- Niger – 1
- Cape Verde – 1
Virus-free = Sierra Leone, Mali, Guinea-Bissau
- Cameroon – 17
- Central African Republic – 1
- Congo-Brazzaville – 3
- DR Congo – 15
- Equatorial Guinea – 4
- Gabon – 3
- Chad – 1
Virus-free = Sao Tome and Principe
- Eswatini – 1
- Namibia – 3
- South Africa – 202
- Zambia – 2
- Zimbabwe – 1
Virus-free = Madagascar, Mozambique, Malawi, Comoros, Lesotho, Angola, Botswana
East Africa / Horn of Africa
- Ethiopia – 9
- Kenya – 7
- Rwanda – 17
- Seychelles – 6
- Somalia – 1
- Sudan – 2
- Tanzania – 6
- Djibouti – 1
- Mauritius – 7
Virus-free = Eritrea, Burundi, South Sudan, Uganda
Read Also Coronavirus Deaths Exceeds 11,000
Content on this website is protected by DMCA. reproducing any content on this site without explicit permission is strictly prohibited.